Sustainability Campus Groups
- "Living Green: How Cal students can do it?". (April 18, 07)
- Berkeley Student Green Guide (courtesy of A.Simmons, E.Lim, K.Choup & N.Cole).
- Progressive Living Wiki.
- Ecology Center
- The State of California's sustainability website, which contains among many useful subjects the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Best Practice Manual.
- The California Energy Commission's Consumer Energy Center, which contains useful consumer tips on saving energy, discussion of renewable energy, and energy myths.
- These two pages on the Green Biz site, toolbox and reference, are aimed at businesses, but most of the subjects apply widely. A great place to answer environmental questions and get new ideas.
- Berkeley sustainable businesses list
Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Want free stuff (or have something to give away?): Re-Use
Group at Cal
Also check out Campus Recycling and Refuse Services (CRRS)
The Hearst Mining Building Recycling Webpage
- Recycling and refuse programs in the city of Berkeley
- Berkeley Recycling Center
- Stopwaste.org details Alameda recycling programs, such as curbside and drop-off collection. It also has tips on buying recycled/green products. It also has a link to StopWaste.Org Recycling Guide, a comprehensive guide to reuse and recycling from Alameda County.
Note that fluorescent tubes, all battery types, and electronic waste including computer peripherals, and mercury-containing products are categorized as universal waste, and are now illegal to be disposed in household trash. Proper disposal is required, and is summarized in this pdf for City of Berkeley.
For all disposal sites in Alameda county, go to Stopwaste.org, under "Where Can I Recycle?" choose Hazardous Materials in the drop-down box.
For disposal locations in Contra Costa county, visit:
- Contra Costa County Waste Reduction and Recycling
- How to stop junk mail sent to you
- Safe disposal of unwanted medications
- Buy Recycled
(where a lot of the facts on our Paper page came from)
Miscellaneous Tools and Information